When Christmas comes around, there is lots of cheer in the air. It’s usually the season where most people are in their best mood. There’s just something about this time of year that can easily make you smile!
However, there are many people who may be in need of some cheering up at the end of each year. It’s important that even through this pandemic, we take the time to pay attention to how we are feeling, and make sure that our mental wellness is in check.
If you are in need of a mental wellness check, this list should help to put that Christmas cheer in your spirit!
- Do what you can. Nothing more, nothing less. – It’s easy to want to do more with and for your friends and family, but even more so during the Christmas season. At the same time, we need to make sure that we are mentally and physically healthy. It’s okay if you can’t do everything that you planned (gifts, get togethers, etc,) Don’t be too hard on yourself, as your effort and heart is what matters most.
- Get your exercise – One reason why we can feel a little in need of some sunshine is because we are in need of exercise. When was the last time that you took a walk outside? If the answer is anything other than recently, it’s a good idea to take a walk and get some exercise! When our bodies get the attention that they need, we can instantly have a boost in our mood!
- Talk to someone you trust – If there’s anything that I know about the holidays (and there’s a lot of things) it’s that one of the many joys of Christmas is family. Talk to anyone that you know and trust, share your feelings with them, and don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Make sure your goals are realistic – While being a perfectionist and a goal-setter is a good thing, make sure that your goals are reachable. Making realistic goals isn’t a weakness, and it doesn’t mean that you are giving up. It’s actually a strength, as it means that you know yourself and what you are able to do, at the moment.
- Speak positively – In all things, we need to make sure that what we speak is positive. Our words float in the atmosphere, and can have a huge effect on our emotions. Therefore, say uplifting, positive, and happy things. You will soon find that this same cheery frame of mind will begin to rub off on you and your energy.
Remember that when it comes to mental health, positivity, sharing your feelings, and being realistic can be a few of the stepping stones of improvement. These skills can take practice, but after awhile, the pep in your step is sure to return!
Have a beautiful day! 🌻